Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Where does the day go??

I recently was wondering where has all my time gone over the summer and how is it that I look at the clock in the morning at 5:00 am (first feeding of the day) and the next thing I know, it is 5:oo pm. So, I decided to break it down by numbers. What a surprise coming from an Accountant.

8 bottles a day = 280 minutes = 4.66 hours of feeding
12 diaper changes =60 minutes = 1 hour
Twice daily wash, dry, and make bottles = 60 minutes = 1 hour
1 load of laundry daily (baby cloths, blakets, etc) = 30 minutes (gather, fold, put away)
1 bath per day-Ava (get bath ready, bath, dry, re-dress) 20 minutes

This adds up to 7.5 hours devoted to just the basic needs for Ava. This DOES NOT include holding her when she needs me or when I need her, playing with her, rocking her, and any of the other miriad of things that can add to the time of doing the above. This also DOES NOT include things I do for the household, George, and myself.

This was not meant to sound whining or complaining. It's the best job I've ever had. It has the best rewards and benefits program and it comes with a new challenge every day. I have a renewed respect for all of the mothers out there doing it day after day. I worked as a career woman for over 20 years before I
became a Domestic Engineer and I'm thankful that I have the opportunity to stay at home with Ava. However, I must admit I look forward to be past the bottle stage.