Thursday, October 28, 2010

Visit with my Mom and Dad -Oct 18th


For most of my adult life, I have been at odds with my Dad and from time to time we have verbally battled it out. Then about seven years ago, things between us became unbearable and we haven't spoken or seen each other in seven years. I still kept in touch with my Mom but as her illness with Alzheimer's continued to get worse, it was more difficult to see or talk with her because of my Dad's reluctance in cooperation. So, with that said, you can imagine my surprise and awkwardness when I went to see my Mom on a Monday morning and he answered the door and stayed for the visit. He was cordial and civil and very happy to meet Ava for the first time. He spent time with us looking at old photographs and reminiscing about past memories. He doted on Ava and she seemed amused. The visit ended with some hugs and some tears and now I'm not sure how to feel. It still feels like unfinished business. I'm praying for continued guidance and obedience to God's will in this matter because I sure can't do it on my own.